The Herbarium R of the Botanical Department of the National Museum (University Federal of Rio de Janeiro) was founded in 1831, being the first herbarium of Brazil and the home of one of the largest herbaria in the Latin America. The herbarium contains a total of approximately 600,00 specimens. The nomenclatural typus collection of herbarium R contains a total of approximately 5,600 (3% of the general collection) specimens that is organized in compactors cabinets and alphabetically; it is in well-preserved conditions and is part of "Global Plants Initiative" Project of The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. The collection comes from surveys carried out mainly by naturalists important nineteenth and early twentieth century, such as E.Ule, G.O.A. Malme, G. Gardner, A.M.F. Glaziou, J.F. Widgren, A. F. Regnell, A.C. Brade, A. Ducke, C.A.W. Schwacke, F.C. Hoehne, Alvaro da Silveira, F. Freire-Allemão, R. Reitz, among others. Currently, the collection of typus of herbarium R is in process of computerization. It is an active collection in continuous growth.