To date, the Helmintological Collection of Oswaldo Cruz Institution (CHIOC) preserves about 38000 numerical lots that can vary from one to hundreds of specimens per lot, that have been deposited since 1913 of the Brazilian fauna representing a great biodiversity and recovered from a wide range of hosts captured in different biomes that include the Amazon, Atlantic forest, “Cerrado”, "Caatinga", Swamplands, "Pampas", Urban and Continental and Marine Waters. Due to donations of foreign specimens, there are helminths from the five continents.
It aims maintaining a collection for the development of taxonomic studies, science education and disseminating the scientific research, to preserve the genetic heritage of helminths collected from hosts of the world's fauna deposited in CHIOC by researchers from Brazil and abroad, and also covering other groups of invertebrates.
The collection consists of samples preserved in wholemounted and wet material.
It was referred to as a collection, for the first time by Faria & Travassos (1913). In the early 80's CHIOC was reported in The Guide to the Parasite Collections of the World (Rego, 1982). In 1991 it was recognized as an institutional collection. It is the result of field work of Gomes de Faria and his disciple Lauro Pereira Travassos, and deposits made by researchers of the time as Adolpho Lutz, Oswaldo Cruz, Gaspar Viana, among others. The collection has increased with the incorporation of private and institutional collections of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century (Noronha, 2004a, b). It was reported in the Guide to Helminthological Collections of Latin America (Knoff et al., 2010).
In addition to periodic maintenance and modernization in the basic organizational structure and the preservation of CHIOC, the collection routine involves the complementation of informatization and staff training, there is also the disclosure and dissemination of its scientific information to the public, which has been carried out through of printed and online catalogs, audio-visual material of its history, and direct service "in loco" or by e-mail, to the technical courses, undergraduate, postgraduate students and research scientists who need information.