The Herbarium Leopoldo Krieger (CESJ) was created in 1940 by initiative of the priests Luiz Roth and Leopoldo Krieger. In 1983 the collection was
incorporated into the Federal University of Juiz de Fora. The Herbarium CESJ gathers collections of algae, fungi, bryophytes, pteridophytes, gymnosperms and angiosperms,
besides a carpoteca (dried fruits) and xiloteca (woods), with over 56,000 records of plants, mainly from the Zona da Mata of Minas Gerais region.