The Herbarium BLA was created in 1947, through the pioneering of the Rural Technician, Anacreonte Ávila de Araújo, a zootechnician specialized in agrostology of the Secretary of State for Agriculture, Industry and Commerce Affairs, since 16/03/1929, adding various private collections. This Herbarium was indexed with the acronym BLA (International Herbarium Code) under the name Brazilian Laboratory of Agrostology, homologated in the "Index Herbariorum" in 1954, on the initiative of Eng. Agr. Ismar Leal Barreto. This denomination and recognition are related to its collection, which is primarily composed by native plants of the agrostological flora, mostly belonging to the southern Brazil fields and Pampa biome. Throughout its history, the BLA became a reference for the formation of other herbaria in several research and teaching institutions and training centers for botanical taxonomists. Currently, the BLA is part of the Department of Agricultural Diagnosis and Research (DDPA) of the Secretariat of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation of Rio Grande do Sul and has a collection of around 20,000 samples, consisting basically of grasses, legumes, asters and sedges, main elements of the natural fields. The BLA stands out for harboring one of the largest collections of forage specimens of Pampa biome in Brazil, which differentiates it from other herbaria.